Is Asbestos Hiding in your Home? Hire the Pros for Asbestos Removal in Edmonton
If your home was built before 1990, it’s highly likely that your basement boilers and pipes are insulated with asbestos. During this period, asbestos was commonly used in homes and commercial buildings as an inexpensive insulator and fire retardant. Also found in cement, flooring and ceiling materials, asbestos is a natural mineral fibre in rock that is white in colour and crumbly in texture. When the substance is disturbed, it releases tiny fibres into the air. If inhaled, these tiny fibres can damage the lung tissue and cause cancer.
Though asbestos may take years to cause disease, there are many risk factors that will determine how the exposure will affect your health. These include:
- Your current state of health i.e. if you smoke or if you have lung disease
- The amount of asbestos you were exposed to
- The amount of time you were exposed for
- How often you were exposed
- The type of asbestos fibres you were exposed to
Asbestos fibres behind walls and in attics, or kept away from your indoor space pose little risk. However, if you suspect traces of asbestos in your home or business environment, it’s recommended that you consult an asbestos abatement contractor right away. The substance may look similar to other forms of insulation like mineral or fiberglass-based materials. That is why it is important to have the professionals test the material first to determine if it is asbestos.
Safe Asbestos Removal in Edmonton for Any Size Removal, Cleanup and Treatment Job
- If you try to remedy the situation on your own, you may cause more dust to penetrate the air and spread all over your home.
- If this occurs, keep away from your home until you have the area cleaned and treated by a company specialized in asbestos abatement.
- If you are currently in the process of renovating an older home, be alert and stay on guard for unexpected sources of asbestos.
- Power-sanding floor tiles and plaster walls containing the substance can release dangerous amounts of fibres into the air.
Speaking to a professional before commencing your renovation project can protect you and your family from unsafe living conditions and potential health issues. It can also help you prepare a spending plan for your money if you do require asbestos removal. Contact A&M Abatement today at 780-803-3774 or visit us online for more information. Our team of experts can test a sample of your material to see if it contains traces of asbestos. We utilize top-of-the-line protective equipment and employ proven procedures for asbestos removal in Edmonton. You can trust that we will also dispose of the material safely.